Tuesday 20 September 2011

20th September '11


Today I re-found my love of paint (the actual medium not the Microsoft software).
I have a stack of canvases and limited experience with painting, thus a lack of confidence in painting straight onto the canvas.
After sketching the design onto the first canvas with graphite pencil, which then proceeded to get muddied up in first layer of paint I was... somewhat unimpressed with my skills.
This evening I tried drawing the design for the second canvas on with a pale coloured marker. Worked a charm! Managed to block out all the colour and work in some detail in about an hour.

I love the way you can mix colours as you go, so you very easily get lots of subtle shades in with out spending ages colour matching. I have to remember to mix enough paint when filling in blocks though, so I don't end up getting half way through a section and running out and not quite being able to reproduce the same shade.

The above sketch in fact has nothing to do with my painting endeavors and is just something I've recently added to the increasing pile of sketches :S

No comments:

Post a Comment